Getting the system profile

Yates, Glen JAMES.G.YATES at saic.com
Fri Jul 11 14:49:00 EDT 2003

> > sorry
> >
> > C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared>msinfo32
> > 'msinfo32' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> > operable program or batch file.
> >
> > can't be retrieved from a vanilla mswin2000
>
> Totally not surprising that you don't find msinfo32.exe on
> Win2000; I think

Actually, totally not surprising, since the path is incorrect!

> winmsd.exe is still used. If you carefully read what I
> posted, "BTW, WIN XP
> pro uses msinfo32.exe in place of winmsd.exe"... No mention
> of Win2000, is
> there?
>
> Find it here in Win XP pro
> C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSInfo\msinfo32.exe

Yes, that is the path on Windows2000 as well, and if you use the construct:

msinfo32.exe /report output.txt

Then it will create a text file 'output.txt' with the system info in it that
you can then parse for the info you need. The only drawback is it takes a
little while to run. You may be able to narrow it down to just the category
you need, though.

-Glen