Metacard for DOS?

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 14:51:56 CDT 2010

  I have just set up an old Pentium 2 that came from my inexhaustible
supply of old computers with FreeDOS and GEM GUI so my second
son can experience the "joys" of PASCAL at home. PASCAL is part of the
Computers and IT syllabus for 15-16 year-olds in Bulgaria (frankly I don't
know why they just don't have them make their own Babbage machines!);
which is all very fine, in its way, except that kids at his school are
expected to
work on heavily virused machines with Windows 95 in groups of 3; which
is rubbish.

I am trying to subvert this by inviting various educational types to
'seminars' on the
joys of RevMedia at my school on Saturday afternoons.

So, at great personal expense to myself (10 Euros and half-an-hour's
work) I set up
a Pentium 2 with 32 MB RAM and FreeDOS for him. He, of course, is NOT
grateful in
the slightest as he now has no excuse for not getting "down and dirty"
and getting
to grips with a bit of mental discipline.

Personally, in 2010, I see learning PASCAL (which I did in 1985, and
promptly forgot), rather
like my learning Latin in 1974 (which I did in 1985, and promptly
forgot), as a mental discipline
which, while not really being screamingly useful, will serve as mental
training for other tough
stuff that will come his way later in life.

Having done that I thought it might be FUN to have a go with the DOS
version of
Metacard [Err . . . one wonders how I could update it to version 4.0
with my RunRev
Studio license] . . .

OK, I'm a bit nutty; well, so I am, are you going to throw me a bone or
what?

Would be grateful if somebody could give me guidance (no, for Metacard
on DOS, not my nuttiness).

sincerely, Richmond.