loosing memory

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Jan 15 10:25:01 EST 2003

Robert Brenstein wrote:

> I have a field in which I keep log of activities. The number of lines
> is fixed -- as a new line is added on top, a line is deleted on the
> bottom. In essence:
>
> delete last line of fld "log"
> put txt & return before fld "log"
>
> MC 2.4.3 keeps adding* 0.4-0.5 mb of ram for each such a log entry,
> eventually using up all free memory and crashing the server. To make
> things confusing, when I take the same function and run it in a test
> stack, the same memory loss is not occuring.
>
> The function does a few other things (like appending the log entry to
> the file), but commenting out the lines that write to the visible
> field eliminates the memory loss (commenting out the file writing
> code makes no change).
>
> Anyone has any ideas what might be going on?

While you method should work without the seeming memory leak problem it
might be interesting to further isolate the problem by trying this:

  put fld "log" into tLogData
  delete last line of tLogData
  put txt & return before
  put tLogData  into fld "log"

Also, is the value of tx appended or overwritten in each iteration?

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation